November 6, 2007

November 6th, 2007

Last night Loaise and I went to the family in the big city. It was a revealing night for sure. I told the story when Peter and John went to the temple to pray and cured a man who had been lame since birth. When the people saw that he had been cured they were amazed, and Peter told them that it was by faith in Jesus that he was cured. It's in Acts chapter 3.

These past few weeks, I've been telling a number of stories that illustrate salvation and repeat the theme that Christ suffered by the plan of God and was raised from the dead and that salvation comes through him to those who repent. This week, I felt it was time to call this couple to salvation. (The other families participating are believers, and are learning how to evangelize through telling the Bible narrative)

I simply asked these questions?
Do you believe that Jesus really lived and did these miracles and was crucified and really came back to life? Yes we do.

Do you believe that Jesus is really who he said he is, and who the apostles said he is, who Thomas said he was "Lord and God?" Her-- Yes! Him-- No!

So I asked the man what he believed. He said that he doesn't believe that there really is a God. He liked the stories, and felt them, but doesn't believe God exists.

This really surprised me. I had seen this man really wrestling with these stories, and really engaging the scripture. The woman has demonstrated her faith, but the man has turned and resisted. I ended the night with prayer that God would reveal himself as real to this man.

--

Two stories really come to my mind right now. First is Jesus and Thomas. Thomas doubted and so Jesus showed him the scars he needed to see. Thomas believed.

Second, the rich man and Lazarus. The rich man, who died and went to the place of torment, asked that Lazarus, who had also died, be sent to the rich man's brothers to warn them to repent. Abraham replied "If they won't listen to Moses and the prophets, they won't listen even if someone rises from the dead."

Pray for this man...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can write to me here and I will respond in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you may leave them here. If you want specific information that I don't want to provide publicly, I will respond by email, so leave an address for me.