December 10, 2008

In deeper than I expected.

Several weeks ago, I was asked to help with some Saturday visits to needy families. I didn't expect to be helping for more than a few weeks, so I did not plan a chronological approach. I just began telling stories as they fit into the conversation and needs of each home I visited. You have read about the family with the drug problems. The woman, at the last minute, did not go into rehab. She panicked and left. We are waiting to hear from her again.

While all of this had been taking place, I didn't notice how God has been placing our church in the middle of a great spiritual battle. When I went to the crack house, to help retrieve some of the belongings of the woman who would go into rehab, some were unsure of me. Someone called out "No, he's okay; he's a pastor, he's a good man." I went in and came out.

Saturday, I was telling stories near the river and a man came to listen. He hid his face every time I asked him about his relationship with God. He asked me to tell more stories. I sat for an hour telling stories of Jesus. He cried and asked me to tell more. No decision, though. The next day I saw him coming out of the crack house, high.

Yesterday, I was meeting with two pastors planning an old testament presentation I will make on Sunday (kind of like a walk thru the bible seminar), where I will tell stories and help people to remember the key events, people and places of the Old Testament. While we were meeting, a man came up to us and asked us to go meet his adult son, who is addicted to crack.... same house.

We have now had 4 or 5 separate contacts with people who are chemically dependent and are going to that one place for their fix. God has put this upon us, so pray us through this and pray for Christ's victory in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can write to me here and I will respond in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you may leave them here. If you want specific information that I don't want to provide publicly, I will respond by email, so leave an address for me.