October 4, 2007

September 26th, 2007

Last night I went to the small town. I gave a ride to a man and his daughter who are friends of mine. The man is a musician and sings Forró, a traditional and popular style of music in rural communities. Since I have been looking for opportunities to begin teaching about God to them for months now, I used this 1-hour car ride to begin. This family is very traditionally folk-catholic.

I asked the daughter, a teenager, if she knew the story of creation from the Bible. She said she didn't, but then replied again, that she remembered something, that God created the world in 40 days. So, I asked if I could tell them the story that is on the first page of the Bible. They agreed and I told the story. Both enjoyed it and began to ask me if I believed in "the mother of God." I replied that I could tell them all of what the Bible teaches about Mary if they would like to hear it. Hopefully I will be able to begin something in their home.

Arriving in the town, I found out that someone that we had been praying for had died, and there was family in the home in which we were intending to meet greiving at the loss of their loved one. I sensed that telling the story of Abraham according to our schedule would be a mistake, so I just sat with them for a while. They asked me to pray, and I did. I then felt led to tell them the story of Jesus bringing Lazarus back to life. I told the story very well and appropriately, I think. We all repeated the part of the story where Jesus said "I am the resurrection and the life...." I did not do anything else except sit with them and pray with them. Next week I will tell Abraham's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can write to me here and I will respond in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you may leave them here. If you want specific information that I don't want to provide publicly, I will respond by email, so leave an address for me.