October 19, 2007

October 19th, 2007

Yesterday we continued our evangelism work with the families in the big city. I had a little more trouble preparing this story than I've had with the others. I told Acts 1 and 2 as a narrative. The part that gave me difficulty was keeping the flow of the story when Peter quoted David in Psalm 16. I finally got it down and was able to tell it well, but we left late and arrived late.

We were well received and spent a long time just talking together and eating some fresh bread that they had baked. When we finished, we prayed together and began. Everyone was able to tell a little bit of last weeks stories. I told the first part of the story, Jesus promised the Holy Spirit, was asked a question by his disciples, and was taken into heaven. Afterwards I reviewed the story again with them, to see that they heard and understood it.

When we began talking about the story, I asked them at one point, what the angels were saying about Jesus' return. One woman replied... "Is it really going to be that way?" I asked her what she understood would happen. She replied "The same way as he left... the clouds of the sky will open up and Jesus will descend from heaven in plain view of everyone." She then asked. "Has that happened yet... in the stories you're telling from the Bible, has it already happened?" I told her no, that we are waiting for the day when Jesus will return. She smiled and exclaimed "I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it!"

I then asked if they remembered what Jesus said at the house of Caiaphas when he was on trial. Her husband remembered that when the High Priest asked Jesus if he was the Messiah, he replied "It is as you say and you will see the son of man sitting at the right hand of God, all powerful and coming on the clouds of heaven." This got them really excited.

I sensed that God was moving on their hearts and moved on to the story of Pentecost and Peter's sermon. I told it very well, but as I was telling it I could see that some of them were becoming sleepy. I knew that it was very late and that more discussion would not be possible. I thanked them for their time and we agreed to meet again next week for me to retell the story of Pentecost. We prayed and said goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can write to me here and I will respond in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you may leave them here. If you want specific information that I don't want to provide publicly, I will respond by email, so leave an address for me.