November 7, 2007

November 7th, 2007

Yesterday I finally went back to the small town. I was well received after having missed 3 weeks. Two people weren't there, but arrived when we finished and promised to come next week. This turned out to be one of our shortest sessions to date. I told the story of when the Israelites encountered God at Mt Sinai and God descended in a black cloud and gave the 10 commandments. This was from Exodus 19 and 20.

The story took only about 6 minutes to tell the whole thing, but they were able to retell the story perfectly on the first try. This is exactly what I was hoping for. In the form of a story, the 10 commandments don't feel like a list of 10 things to do or not do. God never said "Number 1..." etc.

I had expected the discussion to be more about the 10 commandments, than the events of the story, but the story really captured us. Lu said that he'd have been scared of God too, if he'd seen God with thunder and lightning only 2 months after destroying Egypt.

It was surprising to me, but this group actually liked the idea of having Moses hear from God and speak to the people. They really related to the mediator role of Moses. Next week I will tell the story of the building of the Tabernacle and the setting apart of the Priests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can write to me here and I will respond in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you may leave them here. If you want specific information that I don't want to provide publicly, I will respond by email, so leave an address for me.